Friday, April 10, 2015

Steep Learning Curve!!


For the past couple of weeks, I've been buried trying to learn everything I need to know to make this RV lifestyle work.  Like... How to drive a Class A motor home.  I think I got that sorted out yesterday, with a trip into Terrebonne and Redmond, filling up the fuel tank, and emptying the holding tanks.  Even stopped at the post office!  Some may find me a bit lax in the "safety department," but I see nothing wrong with letting my herbs see the views and soak up some sunshine!  Never mind the printer and audio system also in attendance...They didn't budge an inch.

Prior to driving, I had to get unhooked from a 95gal propane tank, and have a shortened line, new valve, and two smaller tanks delivered.  Was told that I will need a crescent wrench to remove and install these tanks. Bought one today.

I received my new Renogy 100W Suitcase solar panel, and have just about figured out how to hook it up, but yesterday, I discovered that none of the receptacles in a motorhome work off the battery, just the lights, and water pump (I'm not 100% certain the refrigerator was operating on battery power either, even though the lights were on.  I'll have to investigate further before I start losing perishables).  So, ran to my RV Dweller forum for information, and learned that I need an inverter to change my 12v battery power back to 110v.  Bought one today, and it has two outlets and a USB port.  It's a start.  By this time next year, I'll have a whole battery bank with inverters to power all the RV receptacles... Dream, dream, dream, dream...

Here's a picture of my solar panel.  With this suitcase portable setup you don't have to have the panel mounted on the roof, meaning that you can park in the shade, and put your panel in the sun.  Big Win!  When I actually try it out, I'll let you know how it works.


This RV also has a 4000w Onan generator, but it doesn't want to run, so when my mechanic is out here on Tuesday doing the oil change, and brake inspection, he'll look to see what it needs.  If we get that running, I can have occasional Air Conditioning this summer!

Another issue that had to be addressed was data service.  I was on US Cellular, and we checked their coverage areas, and discovered that just about everywhere I need to be, they are on "borrowed" coverage, meaning that even if I paid for 8GB of data a month, they would cut me off at 200MB in those areas.  Obviously that wasn't going to work, so I drove around the corner to Verizon, and we looked up THEIR coverage, and according to the map I should get solid 4G LTE coverage in the two long-term areas I plan to be. So, I switched back to Verizon (contract violation penalty with US Cell is going to hurt!), got a Jetpack (and a killer deal on a tablet) which I have set up and tested, and I think it's going to be alright!  Also, they sold me on the dustproof/waterproof/snowproof/shockproof case for my phone, so I'm not paying that extra $11 a month in insurance that still requires you to pay $200 to replace your phone.

Here's my beautiful tablet.  It's my first one, and I'm a tiny bit infatuated with it. In case I can't get my computer charged or connected to the Jetpack, I can still read my emails and other social media, take pictures, and upload, and even Skype!



So, doing laundry while living in an RV.  I could drive into town and pay for machines at a laundromat, but ... ish.  Instead, I bought the RV Dweller's favorite laundry friend, the MobileWasher! Using a 5 gal bucket, and this handy device, I was able to wash two loads of laundry in about 3 hours!!  


 However, most of that time was spent trying to operate this beauty.  Not as friendly as it looks, especially without anyplace to securely attach it. 

As I won't be able to take my fancy shmancy clothesline along with me, I searched for a week, and finally found what I believe will work best for clothes drying in my situation.  It arrived today, so I haven't even opened the box.  Time for further experiments down the road.
Getting ready to live a minimalist lifestyle sure is expensive!  "I'm a gal of means by no means, Queen of the Road!"











2 comments:

  1. Just checking in. Looking for updates,pretty pictures and pictures of Bella having fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi!!! Yes, I'm really behind in blogging, and should do something about it. Thank you for checking in!

    ReplyDelete