Sunday, April 26, 2015

I Leapt...






When I decided to leave the crazy behind me, I leapt.  Into a vast chasm of the unknown.  If ignorance was money, I’d be a billionaire.  I had no idea how I was going to accomplish what I was setting out to accomplish. I had no RV in which to live, no lock on an income, no mechanical or technical know-how, very little money in the bank, no real plan regarding where I would stay immediately after I left Crooked River Ranch, and still, I leapt. And to my astonishment, the net actually did appear.  Not just once, but every time I needed it.

There are many heroes in my story of the past month, none of whom are me.  I.  Myself.  Whatever… 

No RV – My mother gave me her motorhome.  This is absolutely huge, the most important part of the story, and there should be a better tale told about it, but it was that simple.  I had a need, and she filled it.  Just like that.

No Future Income – CLM has me covered for the next 5-6 months.

No Mechanical Know-how, Part I – I found a mobile mechanic through a friend of mine, who agreed to come out and change the oil, do a safety inspection, and try to repair the generator, the day before I was set to leave town.  He didn’t make it.  Some crazy emergency at the airport required his mechanical genius, so I was bumped.  And I didn’t even panic about it.  I was frustrated, because I’d have to find another solution, but a solution was found.  I took it to Oil Can Henry’s.  And THEY found a serious problem with my rear differential that could have become an even bigger problem on those steep, winding Shasta mountain roads, towing my toad.  And, they fixed it, gave me a discount, and I had recently received just the right amount of money to cover it with a few dollars left over.

No Technical Know-how, Part I – I ordered a 100w solar panel anyway.  Had no idea what to do with it, but knew it was going to be important at some point, so I bought it.

No Plan on Where to Stay, Part I – Driving a behemoth with a toad, is a daunting experience on your best day, but trying to find places to stay while driving a behemoth with a toad, can be overwhelming.  Mere days before I left, I finally located a free campsite at Lake Shasta, that would (purportedly) accommodate my vehicle(s).  

No Mechanical or Technical Know-how, Parts II – Arrived at Lake Shasta, and discovered that my refrigerator wouldn’t work on propane, it didn’t have a 12v option, and as I was camping for free, naturally there were no electrical hookups.  The generator hadn’t magically repaired itself, and continuing to push the start button wasn’t getting me anywhere.  I decided to try to figure out my solar panel so that I would at least be able to keep the lights on, and discovered that the controller wiring wasn’t connected, and required a screwdriver much smaller than I had in my 6 screwdriver, plus power drill with screw driver heads, collection. Tried a variety of other household items with no success.  So, I threw up my hands, and decided I’d have to leave the next day before my batteries died and left me stranded in the middle of nowhere. 

Magically, the next morning, a pair of Good Shastonians appeared.  Actually, they were just passing through, and had been RV traveling for 14 years.  We got to talking, and I shared my refrigerator, generator, and solar panel woes.  It just so happened that the man had more than enough mechanical and technical know-how to solve the planet’s problems, and I offered to pay him to help me.  He refused the payment, said he LOVED working on RVs for fun, and would teach me a few things in the process.  Fixed the refrigerator in about 10 minutes, and I know what to do about that, now.  Fixed my TV antenna, dismantled and cleaned all my battery connections, tested water levels and fitness of batteries, hooked up the solar panel, and got my generator NEARLY running.  Instructed me on protecting the tires, and how to refinish the roof.  All he asked in return was that I pay it forward. 

No Plan on Where to Stay, Part II - As to where I would go after I left Shasta, I knew I wanted to see my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughters as much as possible, but they had a lot going on, so I needed other arrangements, too.  Thank goodness for the ridiculous kindness of Stacey B.  She has been letting me camp in her driveway, when I’m not at my daughter’s, plug in a power strip to an extension cord plugged into her power, given me fresh eggs to cook for breakfast, driven me to PJs, and a hundred other kindnesses.  This woman is amazing, and I will never be able to thank her enough. 

No Mechanical or Technical Know-how, Parts III – Much to my dismay, my house batteries will not hold a charge.  My RV group has been SO helpful in the process of figuring out my best options for replacement.  I currently have two parallel 12v 80 Ah batteries, for a total of 160 Ah if they actually worked.  I’m replacing them with two serial 6v 230 Ah batteries for a total of 460 Ah, on Tuesday morning.   I have been limping along thanks to that solar panel I knew I was going to need, and bought, even though I had no idea what to do with it. :D

Very Little Money In The Bank – This happens.  Strangely, and wonderfully, it really happens.  Money appears when it’s needed.  From places it can’t possibly come.  But it comes anyway.  I still have very little money in the bank, but things like the battery replacement that pop up?  I found out a few days ago, that I have some surprise money coming, which after taxes, will absolutely JUST cover those new batteries.

Addendum 4/27/15: I have been waiting for some final utility bills from my previous residence, and decided to call and get the amounts so I can schedule payments before I head into the forest.  My internet bill, which I was expecting to get for another month because I was under contract, has been zeroed out, with nothing due for a final payment.  My water company said they were sending me a check which is only $3 shy of covering my final electric and garbage bills.  Done!  I am just loving how things are working out.

I guess John Burroughs knows what he’s talking about…


3 comments:

  1. Isn't the universe grand?

    As for your friend, I'm betting she knows you're the person who will pay it forward; making the world a better place where ever you go.

    I see a tiny picture of Bella up in the corner. Well, that's better than nothing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How do I follow you? I am dog and these things are beyond my realm of understanding.

    ReplyDelete